Saturday, July 19, 2008

Headcoverings for Health

We've discussed in this blog before, and you know it yourselves: in the winter for the cold, and in the summer for the sun, headcovering is advised by doctors for protection against the elements. I regularly see articles advertising a biking or hiking club where part of your kit includes/requires some sort of headcovering. Another reason for wearing headcoverings has been brought to my attention: mosquitoes and West Nile virus. It's probably "not cool" and a lot of people won't do it, just like they go bare headed in the sun or days below zero. I think it's time people got over themselves and their desire to show off their locks. But here you go:

According to Dr. Lee, “Residents should avoid outdoor activities, if possible, at dawn and dusk. Simple measures like long pants, long-sleeved shirts, head coverings and socks will minimize exposure to mosquitoes, which may carry the virus. The use of insect repellant is also helpful. In addition, we urge people to seek out and empty standing water in and around their homes.” [emphasis mine - LM]

2 comments:

joannaB73 said...

I like to wear head coverings - in the winter because I get cold and in the summer because the sun gives me a headache and I get sun burnt easily being very fair but basically I just love hats. They have some scarves now that you can buy in camping shops that you were round your neck but that can go over your head if it is hot or cold while out walking.

LisaM at ThoseHeadcoverings said...

Me too - I like hats. I've found a lot of references from different places in the world encouraging people to keep their heads covered outside for these very reasons. One good thing about the health conscious among us is coming up with ideas like that which you mention here. I'd like to see that!