Saturday, November 1, 2008

Preaching Today: HEAD COVERINGS AND WOMEN IN WORSHIP

Preaching Today: HEAD COVERINGS AND WOMEN IN WORSHIP

I'm currently listening to, but haven't finished yet, listening to the preacher at the site above speaking on the passages in 1 Corinthians discussing head coverings and women in worship. The preacher is handling this as a touchy, difficult passage, so it takes him quite a while to get to the subject, because he's trying to deal with the sensitivities of his audience and soften things with a conversational (almost rambling) tone. But he makes some good points in there about obedience and authority. [The important subject is that of the role of women, as presented in the Bible, and it is not a well-received or understood topic in our part of the world; but it is necessary to understanding the place of "headcovering".] A three part lesson so far, each section about an hour long.

~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~

Please read the first comment below for a response from the preacher, Trevor Hammack, regarding his purpose, and links to his Bible talks at sermonaudio.com. I can certainly appreciate the idea that many people interpret this (and other) scripture in a variety of ways, which is why I did like his comment in the first talk that we must agree to obey God, even if we don't like what we hear. Thanks to this preacher, and others who have posted blogs and audio or video online, regarding this subject - to share thoughts and learning, and to help others understand more of why one book written in black and white can appear in a rainbow of colors, depending on the shade of glasses a person wears when they approach its teaching.

5 comments:

Trevor Hammack said...

Thanks for posting the link to my sermon. I apologize if I appeared to be rambling. I truly want to deal with the text in a fair and detailed manner. I know that any conclusion I come to will be rejected by many. Lock 10 people in a room and have all of them read 1 Corinthians 11 and you will probably end up with 10 different ideas on what the text means and how we should apply it. I will finish the section on Head coverings this Sunday morning. I will post the audio of the message hopefully by Sunday afternoon. All my sermons are posted at www.sermonaudio.com/vbc and I also post the audio for many of the sermons at www.preachtoday.blogspot.com

Thanks again for posting the link and I will strive to improve on my preaching ability.

God bless

Pastor

Trevor Hammack

Anonymous said...

I listen to part 1 and 2. He didn't seem to say anything at all. It seemed to me he was saying "we don't know and we can't know because it's from the past. and we don't really know what is going on there"
I've got to go to work, but will listen to part 3 when i get back from it and running all my errands.
Not a bad idea to listen to sermons while cleaning - I should do it more often (both the sermons and the cleaning)

EvangelistC said...

Pastor Hammack always preaches his sermons with all the facts and historical information that is available. He sticks to what the passage actually says instead of using specualtion or just plain imagination. I have heard many sermons of his, and I will continue to listen to many more. It is great to see a man preaching what a passage actually means instead of what people want to here.

LisaM at ThoseHeadcoverings said...

I thank Mr. Hammack for posting his response, here and at his own blogsite, and encourage readers here who are interested to go to his site to read more on the headcovering dialogue ... well, only with me at present, but maybe you could join in with your opinions. (Anyone?)

I appreciate the Evangelist's comments also, who signed on to support Mr. Hammack, and I do agree that the lessons are less about speculation; he even shows that various scholars disagree on what the historical facts are. But we strive to know as much as we can, because we want to follow the truth, and not because we want to fit the Words of the Bible to our own understanding.

Regarding the comments from kaekae - I also appreciate the point of view, knowing that "saying nothing" is here referring to the wearing of a headcovering - is it required or not - and NOT necessarily that the first two sermons merely "rambled on" without saying anything! It is true, by the end of the first 2-plus hours, I did not have a good understanding on whether or not the headcovering being talked about was cloth, veil, hair or her husband either. These were all presented as possible interpretations. The talks focused more on the position of men and women, trying to set up the reasons for covering (and not the covering itself yet), with the preacher being somewhat apologetic and feigning fear of the reactions of the women in the audience. But to be honest, I wonder if it would seem more straightforward of a talk if you're in the room and can see the man's face, or the faces of those around, knowing which words are just familiar jokes, and which are seriously "sarcastic" type remarks.

As mentioned before, the expository teachings of verse by verse, explaining headship, roles, and so on, are made well and according to much scripture, and good to hear. I would not have posted the link to this good man's lessons if I thought he was preaching "garbage", or felt his lessons worth ignoring.

Hknisley said...

What an excellent analogy: "why one book written in black and white can appear in a rainbow of colors, depending on the shade of glasses a person wears when they approach its teaching." I find this sooooo frustrating! I plan to listen to Rev Hammack's sermon soon. Thanks for the heads-up!
Heather