Friday, April 24, 2009

"Mantilla the Hon"

Sort of humourous discussion of mantilla headcovering at "Standing on My Head," :

Mantilla the Hon
Famous ecclesiastical fashionista, Mantilla Amontillado comments on her particular headgear

OK hon. You asked me why I wear the mantilla. It's easy. I wear the mantilla first of all because it looks good and because it is ridiculous. You think hats are simply to keep your head warm? You're crazy, then everybody would just wear a woolen stretchy hat.

No a good hat is something, you know, slightly crazy. A good hat stands the world upside down. A really good hat is totally useless and reminds everyone that not everything has to be useful and that useful is usually another word for ugly.

Still. This is not ugly. No. This mantilla is to look good. So what's wrong with looking good? Also, it is for something else. The Bible says women should cover their heads in church. When I wear the mantilla I'm saying, "Look here. I believe the Bible." In this day and age, that's ridiculous too. You see, it is the way I fly the flag. It is my way of saying, "I'm a Christian, and what are you going to do about it?"

. . .

There is more at the website linked above. Check it out. Photo above is from the link too, so just click on the title link to read the story and see a larger version of the photo.

1 comment:

NoReply said...

I agree it is a magnificant mantilla... :0D

I have to confess I do have a 'church' hat that is dragged out on special occasions, not too large, nor to small - but neat and sweet and matches my 'church' suit.... :0D

oh dear I can see I've failed again, already! I am not supposed to care how I look!