Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Head Covering Experiment

Please read "The Great Head-Covering Experiment"
Monday, September 14, 2009

"The_Anchoress" writes:
...

Covering my head subtly changed things for me
. I was only aware of the scarf when I lowered my head to pray, or to read the missalette, but it was not a distracting awareness; instead, I simply felt like my vision and thus my attention was brought into more intense focus. More importantly, that sense of being nudged and nagged was silenced, replaced by something that was just very quiet and settled and peaceful. ...

I love it when we can openly share. Please be encouraged to keep an open heart and mind, to feel and understand along with others.

4 comments:

Innisfree in Alaska said...

I was able to feel reverence. For the first time in a long time and also a feeling of letting-go. It was a wonderful time in my life.

Renee said...

I read this poster's article. One thing she said sort of stuck out for me - as being of my own experiance too.
She said when her scarf matched her outfit - she felt better about her experiance. She wasn't self conscious because the scarf could be a fashion statement or it could be something else. I've noticed this too with other people's reactions to me. Something that doesn't necessiarly look like a "religious item" often makes the wearer more approachable to others.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful article. I too feel completely natural when I wear a covering, although I wear a shawl with very long fringes, so mine stands out a lot more. I like the suggestion of wearing scarves that match ones outfit. I need more scarves!

Unknown said...

Maybe because I'm an Anglican priest I'm used to looking weird in church -- I'm not at the altar now, but I wear at least a prayer cap (my everyday cap style, but the nice one) and sometimes a veil over that. Yes, people ask me if I'm a nun. And I say, "No, I'm a priest."