Thursday, January 22, 2009

Because of the Angels...

Please read: HEADCOVERINGS -- BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS at Civilla's Cyber Cafe for an interesting discussion of the possible meanings of that phrase, "for this reason ought she to cover her head, because of the angels." She begins by handling the statements that have been made by some that women are to cover because the angels might see our hair and be attracted to us physically. Um, no; I agree with her. That's not in the discussion in 1 Corinthians 11, or elsewhere in the Bible for that matter. Then the author goes on to make quite a good explanation of what the passage does say about the headcovering, regarding God's establishment of authority and the glory which ought to be covered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please also see the testimony of "The Frugal Catholic Mom: Headcoverings", who says that she has not always worn a headcovering, but does now. Here's a part of what she wrote:

Doing this would be in obedience, helps me spiritually to remember I am a handmaiden of the Lord and makes me feel more humble and an aid in prayer. But I must not be prideful in doing this. It's all for God. Mary even covered her head as all the women back then did. So perhaps there is a better reason to cover than I had originally had started out doing.

I remember when I was in my late teens our youth group in our church put on a "Passion Play". The first year I was one of the women in the crowd, the rest of the years I participated in it I was blessed to play the part of Mary. Those who played the role of women had a white robe and a long piece of coloured material to have over our heads. I found I was more mindful of God. In this day and age, we tend to not be mindful of God...busy with other things going on in our lives to the point that we forget to even acknowledge him once during the day many times. What a sad thought that is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also see this short note:
"Only For The Corinth Church~ Not True Sisters"
1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

No comments: