Monday, January 12, 2009

Writing about Christian Headcovering

so confused.
A questioning post by dana, including:

... I suppose, headcoveirng should tell you what kind of person I am, but it doesn’t really. If I’ve learned anything from headcovering, it would be to assume less. I was a very judgmental person in Yemen. Especially of foreigners and their clothing choices. I am learning that Christian women cover for many different reasons. We might all be called by the Holy Spirit to cover, but our reasons and justifications are different. ...
~~~~~~~~~

A Fashion Show
A courageous post by Joy, including photos, and beginning here:
Or: "Everything you ever wanted to know about Mara and head coverings."

Those of you who read this blog simply because you know me, rather than having liturgical things in mind will find this whole entry strange. I apologize in advance. Try to see the amusing end of this, the fact that I am modeling assorted forms of head coverings.
I realize the irony. I know I should not be spending so much time worrying about what, if anything, to put on my head while at Mass.

However, the whole point of this entry is that while I do believe that I ought to, as a woman, have my head covered in church, (see numerous articles online if you want to know more about THAT,) I am not quite sure how to go about doing this!

My biggest concern has to do with NOT wanting to stick out. I don't want everyone to see me in a mantilla and think, "oh, there's one of those weird traditionalist girls..."
that isolates me.

As you will see from the following pictures, it's easy to wear a scarf in the winter and fit in, but we'll see what happens in the summer...
~~~~~~~~~~~

What are head coverings for and why would a Christian woman wear one?
a questioning and searching blog post with links, by Momma Jo, beginning:

When I began asking Jesus to help me make Him my Pearl; my treasure I'd be willing to leave everything behind for (Matthew 13:45 & 46), I asked Him open my eyes to hidden sins, worldly thinking & lies that had taken residence in my heart and mind that I might be unaware of.

Not long after that when I felt a sense of grief and a desire to repent over my short hair (see "Why I'm growing my Hair long") and was looking into the scripture as to why my spirit was grieved, I read the following:

1 Corinthians 11:4-10 (KJV) (continued in her blog - music plays automatically)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Does the Church Have the Power: More Thoughts on Headcoverings
The most recent in a series of pondering and researching blog posts by "Synod of Saints", including, with back links to the other posts at this blog, this entry beginning here:

If you are reading this then you are being made subject to the flurry of thoughts which go through my head, and for that I am terribly sorry. As I've mentioned (here and here), Rachel and I are mulling over the idea of headcoverings in public worship. While it seems to me, at this time, that the use of headcoverings was a cultural expression of female submission to male headship. It was an outward sign about the inward condition of a wife. In this way it served much as a handshake does now, for the handshake seems to be an outward expression of hospitality. While, it seems to me, that Paul condoned the use of headcoverings at Corinth the perpetual command was not found in the use of the headcovering, but in the fact that wives are to submit to their husbands in the public sphere of life. To symbolize this the Church of Corinth adopted (or I supposed borrowed) a common custom and applied it to the worship of the Church. I lament the fact that our culture does not have such clear indications of male/female roles.
But this hasn't ended the thoughts we have been having regrading headcoverings. While, we aren't so certain that headcoverings are an element of public worship, I am curious whether or not the Church has a right to dictate the decorum of the Church.
...

It seems consonant with Scripture that an outward sign of submission is not only permitted, but even commanded. Within the broader context of 1 Corinthians it seems Paul is handing down such rules and directions for the better ordering of the Church. He gives directives concerning the use of spiritual gifts in public worship and the proper ordering of the celebration of the Lord's Supper, and reminds the readers, “God is not a God of confusion but of peace” (14:33). ...

(much more at the linked title above)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are You Shy About Wearing the Chapel Veil?
A blog entry with explanations and photos to help those who want to begin covering their head during times of worship, including a sort of "how-to", links, and even a short poll; beginning:

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: Since first posting on the subject of the chapel veil, 'The Catholic Knight' has received many emails from modest women who have expressed their desire to keep the Biblical custom, but simultaneously feel apprehension, embarrassment, or worry about the a potentially negative reaction they may get from fellow parishioners. The common thread in all of these emails seems to center around not wanting to draw attention to one's self.

This is very commendable, because by not wanting to draw attention to one's self, the woman who veils demonstrates that she fully understands the purpose of what the veil is all about. A more recent email inspired me to post on this topic directly.

2 comments:

NoReply said...

I love wearing hats. I wear them all the time. I have a big straw one with pretty scarfs for the winter time and fluffy ones for the winter time.

Indoors I wear a simple scarf for day wear and a special one for the Shul and Shabbat. And I can well sympathise with wearing the 'appropriate' head covering for the appropriate occasion.... :-(

Recently - my husband has booked our summer holiday (as an anniversary gift) now I am panicking - should I wear a swim hat? Even worse - I know I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.... Any suggestions?

Deltaflute said...

I'm surprised that you have posted from Catholic Knight. From what I've looked at his blog, he is not a very open religious person. I don't think those who are Evangelical and thinking about covering would feel comfortable reading his entry on "how-to." Especially when they can look around his blog entry and note other entries about "crushing Evangelicals." It's not my call, but if you choose to keep an open focus, I suggest watching the bloggers that you quote or adding a disclaimer. Your blog seems to be open to all religions and I don't want someone to ignore the great information you have to offer because they get offended by someone else's blog.