Saturday, November 7, 2009

Opinion: "The She-Kippah"

"The She-Kippah, and Other Things I Can’t Handle « New Voices"

This is just a nice spirited commentary - one woman's feelings about the fashion of head covering. Enjoy. :)

Beginning:
So here’s the thing. I tend to think of myself as a traditional kind of girl. I like ritual and history and tradition, which is one of the reasons that Judaism appeals to me. I also love Judaica–putting up a pretty mezuzah, having a collection of Star of David pendants, and of course, my notorious book shelf. So naturally, I I have toyed with the idea for a long time, trying to convince myself, but there’s something about it that just seems unnatural. That’s not to say, of course, that I have anything against those women who choose to don a yarmulke–I admire their ability to own the custom for themselves. I just can’t be one of them.

. . .

2 comments:

Stacy K. said...

I'm definitely not a fan of the kippah for women. I think a scarf or snood is much more feminine and is more in line with historical Judaism.

Michelle Maddocks said...

Me too.